Sunday, 23 March 2014
Reflective Practitioner
Recently I was given the opportunity to visit a primary school and observe a Standard Four (4) class. I had a wonderful experience however from what I observed, there were some non-examples I took with me. There were students with ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder). Some of the teachers were not fully trained to deal with such students and it resulted in a frustrated teacher and a student with low self-esteem. The teacher would shout at the students in order to get their attention however this only made matters worse. My co-operating teacher however was the dean of discipline. This reflected well on his class as his students were well behaved and disciplined. I found my self wanting to have such excellent classroom management skills when I enter into the school system. Motivation was definitely prevalent within the classroom. Teachers do have to face a lot of difficult challenges everyday. The main challenges in this school was poor ventilation and space. But despite this factor, the teachers adapted well;something I as a prospective teacher shall take into consideration. While at the school, I also had the experience with a bush fire near the school which was threatening to both students and teachers. However the quick thinking and bravery of the teachers and principle, the school was dismissed, students' parents were notified and the situation was under control. I found this as a perfect example of teachers in action and their duties towards students. Overall I had a blast in this observation exercise and i would reccommend it as a pilot programme for prospective teachers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment